A weekly rundown of what’s good to read in baseball.
- Sports Illustrated might win the most unexpected headline of the year for their piece on commentator Joe Buck’s addiction to hair plugs. Yes, this is a real story.
- SI also brings you the 10 players to watch in the postseason.
- Britni de la Cretaz interviews ESPN’s Jessica Mendoza for Rolling Stone, and considering the brouhaha one Houston Astros prospect made about Mendoza this week, it’s a timely read.
- In a piece on the Bless You Boys blog, I ask if the Tigers should have kept catcher Alex Avila after he reached free agency.
- Jessica Quiroli of Heels on the Field talks about the perils of celebrity in a social media age, in relation to Tim Tebow’s free agency signing.
- Are minor league players getting paid fairly? Baseball America crunches the numbers on those “big” signing bonuses, and fair pay.
In personal news, I’ll now be a contributing writer at Bless You Boys on a regular basis, so if you’re a Tigers fan, be sure to keep an eye out over there.