Men, let’s talk.
It’s the baseball postseason, and the woman in your life seems to have gone insane. She’s reorganizing her social calendar, eating microwave pizza for dinner while sitting in front of the TV, watching games she normally wouldn’t care about. And if you even suggest switching to Netflix for an episode of Luke Cage she looks at you like you’re a seven-headed monster coming to steal her remote.
So how do you survive the postseason when your significant other loves baseball this much?
- Be understanding. Women who love baseball are going to need you to be patient, especially if their favourite team is playing. Even if their favourite team is out of the running, just understand that they still need to watch all the games until the World Series is done. Her priorities right now are pretty much: Food, Baseball, Sleep, You. Don’t feel bad, you’re not alone. There’s a name for it: you’re a Baseball Widower.
- Don’t change the channel. Oh, we know the commercials are boring. We know the “Commercial Break in Progress” logo on MLB.tv is even more annoying still, but put that remote down. Until October ends, it belongs to her.
- It’s totally fine if you don’t want to watch baseball with her. Go out with your friends. Start a big puzzle. Read a book. No one is going to force you to pretend you care about the Blue Jays/Indians series.
- Now is not the time to ask her how baseball works. It’s sweet, you want to be interested. But don’t ask your lady to explain the ground rule double or why the umpires are stopping the game to listen to headsets on a guy’s belt. Just watch. There will be plenty of time during the off-season to learn these things.
- Whoever she’s cheering for, just go along with it.
- If her team loses, this is devastating. Be there to be emotionally supportive during a difficult time. If her team wins, CELEBRATE. This is the culmination of 7 months of her life, and it’s important to her.
We know it’s rough to be in love with a sports-loving woman when you just want to Netflix and chill, but trust me, if you respect her needs during this time, she’ll love you all the more for it. And Luke Cage will still be waiting once the World Series ends. Let the lady watch the postseason.